Panasonic Environment Vision 2050: our commitments to become carbon-neutral

Panasonic Environment Vision 2050

To battle climate change, Panasonic takes drastic measures. This comes to practice in the Panasonic Environment Vision 2050. Among that are our Zero-CO2 factories. Last year, a first Panasonic facility near Osaka, Japan, was successfully powered by 100% renewable energy. In the meantime, we’ll be transforming the factory in Belgium to become our very first Zero-CO2 factory. How exactly does Panasonic do this? How do factories become carbon-neutral? Read on to find out!

Need for action

There’s no denying it: our climate is changing. Rapidly. Our planet is steadily spiralling down into a point of no return. The United Nations have organised several climate conferences, hoping to curb further negative development. The Katowice Conference in December last year is no exception to that. Our global temperature must not exceed 1,5°C average temperature increase. But in order to do that, we need to reduce our carbon footprint.

Governments and corporations alike need to regulate this. At Panasonic, too, we feel the need for serious measures. In fact, we’ve already decreased our CO2 emissions by 14% since 2014. But we aren’t there yet: in respect to maintain this positive trend, we’ve composed the Panasonic Environment Vision 2050.

Read the full Panasonic Environment Vision 2050

Panasonic Zero-CO2 factories

The main idea of the Vision is simple: to create more energy than we use. We strive towards this goal using several initiatives. One of our most ambitious projects is to transform factories into carbon-neutral institutions. In 2018, we’ve successfully powered our facility in Japan with 100% renewable energy. We plan to take this a step further in our factory in Tessenderlo, Belgium.

But how exactly do these factories become carbon-neutral? There are several ways to achieve that, but a balanced mix is necessary to drastically reduce our carbon footprint. That includes three measures:

  • First of all, we implement an energy management system that monitors all energy consumption. That allows us to pinpoint any waste and locate processes that can be improved.
  • Secondly, we switch to LED-lighting. Furthermore, we plan to do this throughout all of our facilities by the end of 2019.
  • Thirdly, carbon-neutral factories must either get their energy from certified renewable sources or produce their own energy.

Panasonic Environment Vision 2050

Energy sources

In our facility in Japan, we’re using solar energy to provide clean electricity. In Europe however, wind power is much more prevalent. As a consequence, it has developed further. Therefore, we’ve installed a wind turbine near the facility in Belgium back in 2016. It will provide up to 25% of the facility’s peak power demand. The remaining 75% will be sourced elsewhere, coming from renewable sources.

With the new Zero-CO2 factory in Belgium, we plan to drastically decrease all carbon emissions and make energy use much more efficient. As part of our Panasonic Environment Vision 2050, we’re hoping to build a better future for all of us.

Read more about our Zero-CO2 Factory